Bigtop >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Using --signoff option with git am when committing patches

+
Mark Grover 2013-09-04, 21:58
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-09-04, 22:03
Re: [DISCUSS] Using --signoff option with git am when committing patches
Indeed, we are. This would be in addition to that, for added convenience:-)
On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Aren't we tracking how commited what through JIRA tickets as well?
>
> --signoff seems reasonable though.
>
> Cos
>
> On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 02:58PM, Mark Grover wrote:
> > Hi fellow developers,
> > It's great that we encourage contributors to submit patches using git
> > format-patch. It allows us to attribute credit properly to the
> contributor
> > in the git along with other nice things.
> >
> > For committing such patches, the command we typically use git am.
> However,
> > I would like to propose that committers use "git am --signoff" instead
> when
> > committing the patches.
> >
> > The only difference with --signoff flag is that the name of the committer
> > who committed the code also shows up in the comment of the commit.
> >
> > Here is an example,
> >
> > When using "git am", the commit log looks like:
> > commit 00aa88222bbdddl
> > Author: Mr. Contributor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date:   Fri Jul 26 18:00:00 2013 -0400
> >
> >     BIGTOP-X: Test commit
> >

> > When using "git am --signoff", the commit log looks like:
> > commit 00aa88222bbdddl
> > Author: Mr. Contributor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date:   Fri Jul 26 18:00:00 2013 -0400
> >
> >     BIGTOP-X: Test commit
> >
> >     Signed-off-by: Ms. Committer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >

> > The commit is still attributed to the contributor but I think it would be
> > nice for logistical reasons to have the committer name in the log
> messages
> > of the commit.
> >
> > Anyways, I have started documenting this at
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+Contribute
> >
> > Please let me know what you think!
> >
> > Mark

+