Hadoop >> mail # general >> DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?

Re: DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?
The intent of the proposed release off the branch-0.20-append was
never to derail, “hurt”, or distract from the Hadoop 0.22 effort.  The
HBase crew are up for helping out testing and debugging and the intent
is to run atop the 0.22 version of append as well as 0.20’s append.  A
release off the branch-0.20-append branch was more about a ‘stop-gap’,
see Todd’s explication above, or a ‘fig-leaf’ as Andrew describes it
while 0.22 is stabilizing.

Suggestions that projects like HBase hibernate until 0.22 don’t help
(See Ryan’s comments for a sense of why). We can just keep on with
what we’ve been doing up to this if the feeling is that an append
release could somehow jeopardize the 0.22 effort.  Its kinda hokey
having to point users at some random looking branch [1] telling them
build their own but thankfully this is not their only option.

I’ve enjoyed the healthy back and forth,

St.Ack
1. To be clear, 'random looking branch' is fruit of a bunch of
hardwork by Facebookers and Clouderians.