MapReduce >> mail # user >> Encrypting files in Hadoop - Using the io.compression.codecs

Re: Encrypting files in Hadoop - Using the io.compression.codecs
Harsh brought up HBase and I was responding to that.
Specifically HBase.

In more general terms... when you're writing a file, in Hadoop, your file is really a set of files, one for each block.

If the goal is to encrypt the file so no one can access it... why not just use the file permissions of 600? in a 700 directory?
If you want to protect the data... you would be better off encrypting the data in the file first then writing it to the file.

Again like HBase, you're encrypting at the data level.

One other thing to consider. If you want to encrypt at the file level... you will lose all parallelism. Read: Single mapper access only.