HBase >> mail # user >> Lucene instead of HFiles?

Re: Lucene instead of HFiles?
Hi,

With respect to point 3, I know there is a new codec in Lucene 4.0 for
append-only filesystem such as hdfs (LUCENE-2373)

Also, it would also depend on the use case. At the moment, for storing
data, I would expect HFile to be much more efficient in term of
compression than Lucene file system (in fact, there is no real
comnpression, apart by compressing yourself the field byte stream before
storing it). There is some work to try to make Lucene more efficient for
small and medium sized fields (LUCENE-4226 - block-style compression and
storing), but I think HFile is far more optimised for this task.
In fact, another interesting idea would be to investigate the use of
HFile as a StoredFieldFormat in Lucene. Efficient storage of data in
Lucene is imho quite a missing feature.

my2c
Regards
--